Click on each question to see the answer.

What types of graduate law programs do you offer?

We offer a Master of Laws (LLM) and a Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD).  We also offer a Masters in Studies in Law (MSL) for established academics who wish to acquire a knowledge of law, and a Global Professional Master of Laws (GPLLM) in business law for lawyers, business professionals, and leaders in government.  Students may also apply as non-degree special students in order to take law courses that do not lead to a degree.

Can I study part-time?

The LLM, MSL, and SJD programs are NOT designed to be taken part-time. They are full-time programs, and students are expected to be fully dedicated to the program. This means that students cannot hold any kind of job for more than 10 hours per week. The only exception to this rule are rare cases in which special circumstances prevent the student from dedicating him or herself to the program on a full time basis. Working on a full-time basis is not one of the circumstances that justify granting this accommodation. If you wish to work full-time while studying part-time, we recommend you consider the  GPLLM program

Do I need a law degree to apply for the graduate program?

You should hold a law degree from a recognized institution to apply for admission to the LLM program. You should hold both a law degree (LLB or JD) and an LLM to apply for the SJD program. In exceptional circumstances, students may be admitted to the SJD program without an LLM, if they hold a law degree and another degree in a different discipline and have an excellent academic record. You do not need a law degree for the MSL and GPLLM program, although other admissions criteria apply in those cases.

How many graduate applications does the law faculty receive each year?

The law faculty receives over 100 doctoral applications and over 250 LLM applications per year.

How many places are there in the graduate program?

Each year, approximately 8 new doctoral students and 40 new LLM students join the Faculty.

If I re-apply can you use my documents from my previous application?

No. We want to ensure all applicants have the opportunity to submit a fresh application if they are re-applying, as we expect that applicants will have new or updated information that would increase their chances this time around. Additionally, we do not have the resources or abilities to be able to carry forward documents from a previous application to your new application; all documents must be submitted fresh for the year that you are applying.

Do you admit students with foreign (non-Canadian) law degrees?

Yes, approximately one-half of our graduate students hold foreign (non-Canadian) law degrees.

Will I be able to practise law in Ontario/Canada with an LLM from a Canadian university?

No, a graduate degree in itself does not qualify you to practise law in Ontario.  If you are a foreign-trained lawyer who wishes to practise law in Canada, you must have your law degree assessed by the National Committee on Accreditation. You may also be interested in the GPLLM program, which offers courses designed to meet the NCA's requirements for internationally trained lawyers. For more information about requalifying to practice law, please see NCA Options at the Faculty of Law.

When is the application deadline?

For application deadlines, see the applications deadlines web page. The deadline for applying for scholarships such as OGS and SSHRC is generally in October or November of the year preceding enrolment (see question 11 below). The GPLLM program usually has a later deadline than the MSL, SJD, or regular LLM programs.

Can I apply even if I haven't finished my JD or LLB yet?

Yes, just submit your transcripts that are in progress. If you are admitted, your admission will be conditional upon completion of your degree, and meeting the minimum GPA requirements. 

Is there an application fee and can I obtain a fee waiver?

Yes, there is an application fee of $120.  No, the application fee cannot be waived.

How much is tuition?

See the graduate program fees web page for detailed information about tuition and other expenses. GPLLM tuition information is available on the GPLLM Tuition Page.

Does the Faculty offer financial support to graduate students?

All doctoral students with financial need are offered tuition plus a stipend of approximately $15,000 for three years.  Financial support is also available to a small number of LLM candidates with financial need, and excellent academic records . However, many LLM students will be required to fund their own graduate studies.  Visit the graduate scholarships page for details. Applicants seeking financial support must complete the Financial Assistance Application Form, along with their law school application.

What other sources of financial support are available for graduate law studies?

Canadian Students should consider applying for OSAP, the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, various SSHRC programs, and the Viscount Bennett Scholarship. Deadlines are as early as October of the year preceding registration. International students should seek financial support from their home countries.  A variety of other awards available to both Canadian and International students are listed on the School of Graduate Studies website.

What factors are considered in admitting or refusing an applicant?

At a minimum, eligible candidates must have achieved the equivalent of a B+  standing in their law degree and meet the English language requirements.  Other factors include the quality of the academic references, the research proposal, and the interest and availability of supervisors. Please note that these minimums are a requirement, and we cannot waive them.

Should I contact potential faculty supervisors before applying?

No, we do not encourage candidates to contact potential faculty supervisors before applying.  All applications are reviewed by the Graduate Committee and then passed on to potential supervisors.

Does the Faculty offer graduate student housing?

No, the Faculty of Law does not have dedicated housing for graduate law students.  However, there are residences on campus dedicated to graduate students generally.  Please visit the website at You should apply for admission to a graduate residence as early as possible.  You can and should apply before you have heard whether you have been admitted.

How can I obtain a brochure and an application for admission?

We do not publish a brochure. Please explore our Admissions Page, which contains the most relevant and current information about our graduate programs in law.

Can I contact students who have been through your program?

You can contact current graduate students who are willing to discuss their experience at U of T.

Do you have any advice on how to write a good LLM application?

Yes, we do. Have a look at this video about how to write an awesome LLM application.

How do I know whether my application has been received?

You can check on-line to see the status of your application. This is the most up-to-date information about your application, and phoning or emailing staff will not give you more detailed information.

Can I receive feedback on why my application was not successful?

Unfortunately we are not in a position to provide individual feedback to applicants. We have very few places in the program for the number of applications we receive, and as a result, it is not uncommon for even outstanding applicants to be refused admission. Admission to the program is extremely competitive, and meeting or exceeding the admission requirements does not guarantee admission.

I've been admitted, but the terms of my admission state that I must be "in residence". Do I have to live in student residence on campus?

In residence simply means that you must be present in the city of Toronto to take part in all on-campus classes, events, and workshops. This does not mean that you must live in Student Residence. You are welcome to live wherever you’d like so long as you are able to come to campus to attend to your academic commitments.