Instructor(s): Mohammad Fadel

For graduate students, the course number is LAW5037H.

Note: The Quercus program will be used for this course. 

This seminar will address, as a theoretical matter, the relationship of religion to a liberal state, with particular attention to the writings of John Rawls as set forth in Political Liberalism and leading religion cases law from Canada, the United States and the European Court of Human Rights that address the relationship of religion and a liberal constitutional order. The course will also provide an introduction into classical and modern Islamic thought on the State. 

Students are required to write seven (7) weekly papers of 900 words each based on assigned readings for a total of 6,300 words, representing 90% of the final grade. Papers are to be submitted in advance of the class meeting in an electronic format. The remaining 10% will be awarded based on class participation. In addition the instructor may designate two or more students (depending on the enrollment) each week to lead class discussion on that weeks readings. Students who wish to write a SUYRP will be required to submit the first three papers (ungraded) and a 7,500 to 8,750 word (30-35 pages) paper due on the final day for written work in the relevant term. Students may satisfy the Perspective requirement and a maximum of five students may request to write a Supervised Upper Year Research Paper in this course.
Academic year
2022 - 2023

At a Glance

First Term
Perspective course



7 JD

5 Religious & 10 Political Sci.


T: 2:10 - 4:00 pm