The Hon. Henry N.R. Jackman ('56) at the opening of the renovated Rowell RoomOn November 13th, 2001, the Rowell Room reopened its doors as a newly renovated student-faculty lounge that gives law students a place to gather and serves as a meeting place for the entire law school community. Renovation of the Rowell Room was made possible through a very generous donation from University of Toronto Chancellor, The Honourable Henry N. R. Jackman.

A 1956 graduate of the Faculty of Law, Jackman donated $200,000 to the law school for the restoration of the Rowell Room to its original form as a solarium. At one time completely enclosed by brick, the Rowell Room's original windows have now been duplicated and replaced, and the mosaic floor has been restored to its original pre-1900 beauty. A dropped ceiling, built-in leather benches and contemporary furnishings have been added, returning the room to a bright, sunny solarium and a beautiful faculty-student lounge. Through this donation Jackman is following a family tradition established by his parents, Mary Coyne Rowell Jackman and Henry Rutherford Jackman, who first funded the renovation of the room in the 1960s to house an international law library, and who named the room in honour of The Honourable Newton Wesley Rowell, Jackman's grandfather.

The Rowell Room

The Honourable Newton Wesley Rowell served as Chief Justice of Ontario from 1936 to 1938. In 1911, Rowell was elected to the Provincial House, and from 1911 to 1917 he served as leader of the Liberal Opposition in the Ontario Legislature. He was a member of the House of Commons from 1917 to 1921, where he served as President of the Privy Council, Vice- Chairman of the War Committee, and organized and administered the Federal Department of Health. Rowell was a strong advocate on the issues of temperance and women's suffrage and was instrumental in the groundbreaking Persons Case, when Emily Murphy, Henrietta Muir Edwards, Louise McKinney, Irene Parlby and Nellie McClung sought Rowell out to carry their petition to the Supreme Court of Canada and to the Privy Council of Great Britain.

The Honourable Henry N. R. Jackman has served as Chancellor of the U of T since 1997, and has had a lifelong involvement with the university as a student, alumnus and active supporter. He received his LL.B. from the Faculty of Law in 1956, is a 1953 graduate of U of T's Victoria College, and received an honorary doctorate from the university in 1993. Jackman served as the 39th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, is an officer of the Order of Canada and was awarded the Order of Ontario in 1998. A firm advocate for private philanthropy and voluntarism, he is the founder and president of the Henry N.R. Jackman Foundation and chairs the J.P. Bickell Foundation. Jackman is chairman of the board for Algoma Central Corporation, Empire Life Insurance Company and E-L Financial Corporation Limited. He has served as honorary patron of more than 150 organizations in the arts, sciences, sports and charitable communities throughout Ontario and has served as a trustee and board member of numerous cultural, health-related and educational institutions.

The Faculty of Law is proud to be able to count The Honourable Henry N. R. Jackman among its most distinguished and highly esteemed alumni, and honoured to be able to recognize his lifelong commitment to the Faculty through the restoration of the Rowell Room.