Director: Professor Edward Iacobucci
The combined J.D./M.B.A. Program is part of a long-standing collaboration between the Faculty of Law and the Rotman School of Management in both research and teaching. The program enables students who are interested in the many ways in which the law interacts with the business world to combine graduate training in management with their law degree.
At the completion of the four-year integrated program, the successful student is awarded both the Juris Doctor and the Masters in Business Administration degrees which, if taken separately, would require five years of study.
Students in the J.D./M.B.A. Program spend their first year doing the first year of the J.D. program, their second year completing the first year of the MBA program and the final two years completing courses drawn from both programs.
- Complete the first year of the J.D. program in the first year of study.
- Complete the first year of the M.B.A. program in the second year of study.
- Achieve a "Pass with merit" average from those first year courses taken at the Faculty of Law and a "B+" average from those first year courses taken at the Rotman School of Management in order to progress to the upper years of the program.
- Successfully complete 45 credits at the Faculty of Law in the third and fourth years of the program, including at least 10 credits that are “management-related”. These courses can be identified in the Faculty of Law Academic Handbook under the following areas of concentration:
- Administrative Law and Regulation
- Business Law
- Law and Economics
- Labour Law and Social Justice law
- Successfully complete six 2000 level M.B.A. elective courses (18 credit hours) at the Rotman School of Management in the third and fourth years of the program.
- Students may not take any courses for credit outside of the faculties of Law and Management except on an approved exchange program with permission from both faculties.
Note: Notwithstanding the Faculty of Management's course selection process, students must meet the Faculty of Law course selection deadline, and may not select more than 16 LAW credits per term.
Please note the following J.D./M.B.A. Program restrictions.
Students are excluded from taking courses of a combined law/management nature due to their general or introductory nature as specialists in both management and law. As such, students in the combined JD/MBA program are not eligible to enroll in the following courses:
- Management: MGT2912 Business Law
- Law: LAW422 Negotiation
- Law:LAW 216 Venture Capital Financing (this course is offered in both Faculties and cannot be repeated).
Each year, there are a number of courses which are cross-listed between the Rotman School of Management and the Faculty of Law. In such cases, students are advised that for the purposes of academic credit, these courses will count as follows:
LAW300 The Art of the Deal: counts as a Law course
Students enrolled in joint programs MUST complete the requirements of both programs in order to graduate in a combined program. No diplomas will be awarded until all the requirements for a combined program are fulfilled.
Candidates for the J.D./M.B.A. Program must be admitted to both the Faculty of Law and the Joseph L. Rotman School of Management. As a result, candidates need to meet the admission requirements of both faculties, including writing the LSAT and GMAT and payment of the prescribed application fees of each. The GMAT is waived for candidates who have an LSAT score of 165 or above.
Students who have completed the first year of either the J.D. or M.B.A. program may also apply for admission to the combined JD/MBA Program by meeting the normal application and admission requirement for the other faculty and upon notifying their faculty registrar.
For more information about this combined program, contact the:
Faculty of Law
University of Toronto
84 Queen's Park
Canada M5S 2C5
Telephone: (416) 978-3716
Fax: (416) 978-7899
At the Rotman School of Management, application forms or further details about the JD/MBA Program can be obtained from:
Rotman School of Management
University of Toronto
105 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E6
Tel: (416) 946-8463
Web site: http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/jdmba/